One of the great cook books from last year was Feasts by Sabrina Ghayour. There’s so many incredible Middle-Eastern recipes in it! This recipe is inspired by the book and the amazing dishes Sabrina has put together.
Ingredients for 4
- 4 free range chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of ground corriander
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of Greek yogurt
- Flatbread or pita pockets
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 sweet pepper, sliced and roasted
- 1 red onion, sliced and roasted
- Diced pickles
- Place the sliced chicken into a large bowl. Add all of the spices, the lemon juice and zest, yogurt and garlic. Season with some sea salt and black pepper and a splash of olive oil. Give the chicken a good mix. Use your hands to ensure every bit of chicken is well coated in the yogurt marinade. Leave covered in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, ideally overnight.
- To cook, heat some oil in a large pan at a medium heat. Add the chicken and fry for between 10 and 15 minutes. Once done remove from the heat and check the chicken is cooked through.
- To serve, add some yogurt, hummus, or chutney to the flatbread and top with some of the chicken, tomatoes, onion, pepper and pickle. Or whichever of these takes your fancy.
Try not fill the pita or flatbread too much, the last thing you want is everything spilling out, although no matter how hard you try some will! Whip these up the next time you’ve got some friends over, they won’t disappoint!